HMB Competitive Tryout Policy
1. There will be 2 skills sessions and multiple intrasquad games for 11U and 13U. Players are guaranteed at least 1 intrasquad game. Coaching candidates attending games will be responsible for creating teams and lineups as well as assigning positions for the games.
2. There will be multiple intrasquad games for 15U, 18U and 22U. Coaching candidates attending games will be responsible for creating teams and lineups as well as assigning positions for the games.
3. In the event a player misses skills sessions or intrasquad games the nature of the absence will be considered. Valid reasons for absence are religious holidays, bereavement, national or provincial academic events, national or provincial athletic events, playoffs for other sports, and injuries or illness.
Player injuries and illness require a doctor’s note unless the injury is visible (cast, stitches, etc.)
If any of the valid reasons listed above cause absence for any or all tryout sessions, scores from the previous year, coaches feedback, and previous year team placement will be used to determine current year placement.
If a player misses a session, or sessions, for non-valid reasons they will forfeit scores for effected sessions.
4. All players will wear the same number pinnie for all skills sessions and intersquad games. Players are NOT allowed to wear Mets gear from previous years. Players will be asked to remove any such gear.
5. Select board members will determine the coaches at each level. Coaches must apply with a baseball resume for AAA Head Coaching positions.
6. There will be at least 12 players named to each team.
7. Evaluators will be chosen by select board members. Evaluators will not be board members, will not have a child in the group they are evaluating, and will not be head coaching candidates for the group they are evaluating.
8. Final team selection will be made by select board members along with input from the head coach of each team. The top 9 players will be fixed based on tryout results and coaches will have the opportunity to negotiate the final 3 players with a valid reason.
The Halifax Minor Baseball Board of Directors reserve the right to adjust these guidelines if required.