18U Playing Rules
18U DIVISIONAL RULES – HALIFAX HOUSE LEAGUE
1. SEVEN INNINGS – one extra inning if tied during the regular season; depending on the light conditions and umpire’s decision. Hitting Teams will start with their last two outs on 1st and 2nd. If a full extra inning is unable to be completed then the score will revert back to the last full inning played.
2. Games will be a maximum of 2 hours and 20 minutes long. No new innings will start after 2 hours and 15 minutes. Players should be present at least 20 minutes before the 6:00pm game time in order for the coach to set the lineup and have a warm up.
3. FIVE RUN MERCY RULE AFTER EACH INNING - LAST INNING OPEN
4. TEN RUN MERCY RULE AFTER FIVE INNINGS (four and a half if home team leading).
5. Wins/losses/ties will be recorded for standings.
6. Rain-outs are considered ties unless made up.
7. WINS will result in two points and TIES will result in one point.
8. Final standings will determine playoff format.
9. Teams tied at the end of the regular season will be determined by:
- total wins
- if still tied: total games won against each other
- if still tied: total runs scored
- if still tied: total runs against
10. Time limit between innings. Umpires to enforce a three (3) minute time limit for between inning warm-ups. After a warning a team violating this rule will be assigned an out to start next at bat. This time limit is subject to review and may change during the course of the year.
** IMPORTANT **
If HRM declares that the field(s) are not playable then all coaches must adhere to their decision. Coaches who decide to play and/or practice after HRM has declared the fields unplayable will result in the coach being given an immediate suspension.
18U PLAYING RULES
The following rules are those that govern 18U play in the Halifax Minor Baseball House League.
1. Lead-offs and stealing are allowed. Consequently, balks will be called at the discretion of the umpire(s).
2. Bunting is allowed.
3. All players bat in order. Once the batting order is set, the batting order cannot be changed. Note: batting out of order will result in an out.
4. Coaches exchange their line-ups with each other before the start of the game. Scorekeepers on both teams should keep track of runs both for and against. Line up cards may be required by the umpires and must be provided if requested.
5. Coaches are required to coach from the bench or coaches boxes.
6. ONLY ONE COACH PER TEAM IS ALLOWED TO ASK THE UMPIRES ABOUT A CALL. That coach is to be named before the game begins, when Coaches and Captains are called to the plate. Players cannot be named to this role. If a non-named coach or player approaches the umpires, it is an automatic ejection. If the named coach gets ejected, the team loses the right to have a coach approach the umpires. Coaches will only be permitted to cross the foul lines to assess and/or assist injured players or ask for a ruling clarification.
7. The winning coach is responsible for emailing the scores to the league statistician within 24 hours of the game.
8. Teams not fielding a minimum of eight (8) players forfeit the game.
If Coaches are expected to be short players, they shall organize “call-up” players (see Rule #10).
For Regular Season only: If at game time, there is a team of seven (7) players and the opposing team has ten (10) or more players, the opposing team shall lend player(s) to the other team (which players will be the opposing team’s choice). Opposing team shall never go below nine (9) players. For example: If a team has seven (7) and the opposing team has eleven (11), then the opposing team with eleven (11) will lend two (2), so both teams have nine (9). We encourage coaches to choose players fairly (ie) ask players to volunteer or choose randomly. The purpose of rule is to make sure kids get to play baseball.
9. Only second year 15U players may be called up to 18U. Coaches should evenly distribute call-up opportunities amongst their eligible players. Call-ups are not eligible to pitch or catch in 18U.
10. All players must wear a ball cap, and properly – Baseball Nova Scotia rule.
11. All players in full uniform during games, shirts must be tucked into baseball pants (Players not in full uniform will not be permitted to play).
12. All players must have a number on their shirt (no two numbers are to be the same).
13. Batting helmets are mandatory while at bat, in the on-deck circle and on the base-paths.
14. All players must wear a protector cup (or Jill straps for females).
15. The only players who will be allowed to hold a bat are the batter and the player on-deck. For safety reasons they may only swing the bat while on the playing field.
16. The “Infield Fly Rule” is in effect for this division.
17. Catchers cannot block home plate unless they are attempting to field the ball thrown directly to home plate – safety reasons - called for interference.
18. Fielders must not block the path of a runner(s) - called for interference.
19. Runners must not interfere with the fielders attempt at fielding the ball – called for interference.
20. Contact Rule: Runners are instructed to slide or attempt to avoid making contact with a fielder. A player who maliciously (intentional excessive force) runs into another player is to be declared out and automatically ejected. The player may be subject to additional penalties as determined by the League President.
21. Pitchers must be in contact with the rubber when pitching.
22. A pitcher who is removed from the game shall not be permitted to return to pitch in the same game, even if the pitcher is retained in the game at another position.
23. The pitching week starts on Sunday and ends on Saturday.
24. We will be using the BNS Pitch Count Table going forward.
Daily Pitches (No Rest)
Daily Pitches (1 Day Rest)
Daily Pitches (2 Days Rest)
Daily Pitches (3 Days Rest)
Daily Pitches (4 Days Rest)
When a pitcher reaches his/her max, they are allowed to finish with the current batter. Warm up pitches and throws to other bases are not included in the pitch count.
25. A second trip to the mound by a coach in any inning the pitcher must be removed and replaced by another pitcher.
26. A pitcher who hits three (3) batters in a game must be removed from the mound, even if the pitch hits the ground prior to hitting the batter.
27. There shall be a maximum of five (5) warm-up pitches for a new pitcher starting an inning or entering the game mid-inning. There shall be a maximum of three (3) warm-up pitches for a returning pitcher. Pitches made to someone other than the catcher constitute warm-up pitches. Warm-up pitches can be between the pitcher and anyone who is receiving at home plate while the catcher is getting ready. Whoever is receiving must wear a helmet and mask for safety.
28. When the catcher is on base with two outs, he/she must come out of the game to put on his/her gear in order to be ready for the next half inning. The catcher is to be replaced on base by the player who made the second out in the inning. A catcher must be ready at the start of each inning.
29. All players play a minimum of three (3) innings in a game during the regular season and playoffs.
30. The 18U playing field shall be eighty (80) feet between all bases and the distance between the point of home base and the front side of the pitchers plate shall be fifty-four (54) feet.
31. 18U House now uses wood bats only.
32. Shoes with metal cleats or “spikes” are permitted.
33. All players are allowed to wear sunglasses. If pitchers wear sunglasses they must be non-reflective. Proper sports sunglasses are strongly recommended.
34. No jewelry is allowed, except for medical alert.
35. There will be no alcohol or tobacco products (smoking) on the field and around the dugouts. All player/coaches are asked to pick up any garbage in or around their dugout at the end of the game.
FAIR PLAY POLICY
An individual player can only play one additional inning more than any other teammate per game - including playoffs.
The overall intent is:
* THROUGHOUT THE SEASON/YEAR ALL PLAYERS PLAY AN EQUAL AMOUNT OF TIME as all players have paid the same amount to play baseball
* To prevent some players from playing every inning of every game while other players are splitting games
* Coaches will rotate the batting order during the regular season so that the same players are not hitting at the bottom of the order all year. However, once a batting order is set for a game it must remain unchanged for that game.
SUBMITTING GAME SCORES
The WINNING Team (HOME Team in the event of TIE) is responsible for submitting the game scores to the LEAGUE. Click on the following link to open an email with the correct reporting addresses:
Game scores should be submitted by 10:00 PM on game day to ensure they are entered on the website.
SUBJECT: Game Scores - Halifax Minor Baseball
HALIFAX MINOR BASEBALL
WINNING TEAM: Team Name Score
LOSING TEAM: Team Name Score